Thursday, November 2, 2017

REVIEW: Seven Days of Us

Seven Days of Us
Author: Francesca Hornak

Olivia Birch has just returned to the United States following a humanitarian trip to Africa to help treat an epidemic. She faces seven days of quarantine....with her family....at the holidays. Seven days with her parents and sister without being able to leave the house. Family secrets, jealousies and squabbles all come to the surface as the Birches face Christmas together.

I can completely identify with uncomfortable, yet joyous, holidays spent with family. Tensions, past slights, and different outlooks often clash after a couple days. I can't imagine being effectively trapped with family for seven days, unable to leave the house. Oh dear. lol. This book is witty, often funny, emotional and completely enjoyable. I found myself caught up in the Birch family drama. It seems they all have something to hide and different reasons for keeping their secrets. The truth pops up at inopportune moments. But, the Birch family is strong....stronger than they realize.

I don't usually read this sort of fiction. It's usually just too much emotional fluff for me. But, I have to say....this book was a pleasant surprise! There is drama and lots of emotion....but the story is engaging, purposeful and believable. I found myself identifying with the characters and wondering how this story would end. I didn't feel bogged down in melodrama, but enjoyed this tale of a family coming back together after years of growing apart. This is definitely a great book to read before the holidays.

Awesome book! Emotional and witty without being overdone. I will definitely be reading more by this author!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Berkley Publishing via NetGalley. I also won a print ARC through Goodreads. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment