Sunday, November 5, 2017

REVIEW: The Hatching

The Hatching
Author: Ezekiel Boone

All around the world strange events are occurring. A strange skittering is heard in the jungles of Peru just before a tourist is over-run and eaten. A plane crash in Minnesota kills a famous billionaire. The Chinese government drops nuclear bombs on its own country. Seismic events in India are a precursor to a horrible biological event in Delhi. The whole planet is thrown into chaos by.....spiders. Black, flesh-eating, swarming spiders. Their eggs have lain dormant for thousands of years underground all over the planet waiting for just the right conditions. Those conditions have been met. And now black swarms of skittering death threaten to end the human race. Scientists, politicians and military come together to save the world in this hair-raising horror tale.

I hate spiders. I even hate fuzz, carpet lint or ANYTHING that even looks like a spider. So, this audiobook was the perfect Halloween tale for me. Just the idea of masses of spiders overtaking people and eating them.....total heebie-jeebies!

The Hatching is the first book in a trilogy. I'm definitely going to read the other two books. I want to know what happens! :) I can't believe that I am voluntarily reading books about spiders, of all things....but this first book definitely caught my interest enough for me to face my fears and read the rest of this trilogy.

I have no idea about the reality of the science in this book, but it was believable enough to keep my interest. This book is definitely a horror story meant to creep readers out, not to serve as any deep attempt at characterization or witty fiction. It's simply meant to make people feel little legs crawling on them....to be uncomfortable....to wonder as they fall asleep if something like this could really happen. A great creepy story. Nothing more, nothing less.

I shook my covers out before getting into bed at night for three days after finishing this audiobook and put Raid on my shopping list. Definitely freaked this arachnophobe out. Nice, enjoyable scary read.

The audiobook is almost 9 hours long. George Newbern narrates. He reads at a nice, even pace. I have partial hearing loss but was easily able to hear and understand Newbern.

For more information on the author and his books, check out his website: http://www.ezekielboone.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment