Saturday, January 21, 2023

REVIEW: Better Call Saul and Philosophy

 Better Call Saul and Philosophy
Editors: Joshua Heter & Brett Coppenger


My son tried literally for years to get me to watch Breaking Bad. I refused, stating that I just couldn't watch a show where the main characters were horrible and where the main topic was meth dealers. Then he showed me a clip of the spin-off show, Better Call Saul. 

It sucked me right in. I wanted to know more about Jimmy McGill....and after watching every season, of course, I had to watch Breaking Bad as well.  We have now watched every episode of both. I liked Better Call Saul better than Breaking Bad because my son and I had some long discussions about character motivation, events, whose behavior was the worst, etc. Then I saw this book online, and just had to read it. Many of the essays in this book mirrored discussions my son and I had while watching the show. Questions like: when was Chuck's ending inevitable? Whose behavior was worse - Chuck or Jimmy? Why did Kim and Jimmy do what they did to Howard? Is it worse to trick someone for fun, or as a means to an end? When had Jimmy gone too far to the Saul side to come back? Did Jimmy redeem himself in the end?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. And, in discussing the essays with my son, we had even more moral discussions about the show and the characters. 

 Great book! It's part of the Pop Culture and Philosophy series. There are multiple books in this series ranging from Pokemon to Dave Chapelle and even Punk Rock. I plan to read more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment