Sunday, January 22, 2023

REVIEW: Spare

 Spare
Author: Prince Harry


I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I knew I wanted to read it. And I'm glad I did. 

Yes, Harry grew up incredibly privileged...the best schools, the best opportunities, world travel, etc. But it would be very difficult knowing your entire life that you were The Spare. The contingency. The one less-than. And, to have the press hounding you, everyone gawking at every aspect of your life, and being on public display at your best and worst. Somehow the money doesn't seem a good enough trade for all the bullshit. 

I understand why Harry walked away. I have a much clearer perspective of what life was like. 

This book covers Harry's early life, the loss of his mother, his military career and his marriage. He's pretty candid about his issues - drug use, rebellion, mental health concerns, depression. This book is pretty heavy reading in spots. 

My takeaway? Let Harry live his life. The press need to leave him alone. He really isn't a story anymore. Let him raise his kids, be with Meghan in the US, go about his charitable pursuits.....leave him alone. You all have done enough. Shit stirrers supreme. You killed his mother by constantly chasing her everywhere she went. You published lies upon lies. It's time to FO and move on.  I can't imagine having photographers jumping out of the bushes every time a member of the family leaves their home. Cutting fences? Using drones. Threatening to print lies unless photos and a story, or an interview are allowed. FFS -- ridiculous!!!!! 

And I believe every word Harry has to say about the press and how he was hounded every moment of his life. 

This has to stop. 

The portions of the book about squabbles inside the royal family really don't interest me. Not my circus, not my monkeys. And Harry doesn't really say anything all that bad about his family members. But I did notice that most of the problems are caused by the press -- appeasing the press, trying to get good press, what to do about lies printed, how to cover up problems or deal with things that make the family look bad....   It all comes down to shitty journalists. 

I know a couple journalists that I would LOVE to tell to their face to just shut up. One in particular that spouts hate about Harry and Meghan every chance he gets. Oh please do just fuck off, you ranting old man. Go off somewhere and scream at kids to get off your lawn. And every time someone challenges your opinions, you storm off in a huff (temper tantrum)....Kindly storm off and stay off. Your opinion doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think it does, you blow hard. (Ahhhh it felt SO GOOD to say that!)

As for Harry -- I hope he moves on from this and is able to do good in the world, raise his family and be happy. He finally got his chance to have his say.

Glad I read it. Now I'm returning it to the library as there is a massive wait list for this book! 

Good read -- I recommend going into it with an open mind and hear what he has to say without letting your opinion either way blind you to the obvious truths that are in his story. For me, the family stuff was secondary to the horrible actions of the press when it comes to the royal family and celebrities. Completely ridiculous behavior!




No comments:

Post a Comment