Friday, September 8, 2023

REVIEW: The Writing Retreat

 The Writing Retreat
Author: Julia Bartz


5 lucky winners. A writing retreat with a famous, but eccentric, horror author at her very remote estate. Alex feels this is her chance to finally get published. But, it turns out there is a reason why everyone says never meet your heroes......

I listened to the audio book version of this debut novel by Julia Bartz. The audio is 11.5 hours long and narrated by Gail Shalan. Gail is a skilled narrator with a pleasant voice. She read at a good pace and brought each character to life.

I'm not going to say a lot about the plot to avoid spoilers. But, this book went in some directions I didn't expect...and a few I did. The story dragged in the middle for me and I almost stopped listening. I stuck with it because I wanted to know the ending. But, I was disappointed - the ending was a bit of a mess, in my opinion.

The story was interesting, but this book overall missed the mark for me.  I didn't really believe the characters or the events. It just seemed a bit too contrived and odd in places. I felt there were some plot points that were just dropped and never given a satisfying conclusion. 

I'm glad I finished the story, but I wish I had enjoyed it more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment