Thursday, June 27, 2019

REVIEW: The Black Cat Knocks on Wood

The Black Cat Knocks on Wood
Author: Kay Finch

This story had me chuckling out loud several times while reading. In this second book in the Bad Luck Cat Mystery series, Hitchcock (the lovely black cat) is seen at the scene of yet another murder, senior citizens are trying their hands at rodeo roping, and Sabrina Tate finds herself doing a bit of amateur sleuthing to clear her cat's name....again. This series is always entertaining!

I love all the quirky side characters in this series. Aunt Rowe is always up to something....this time it's roping goats. Does she know how to ride rodeo and rope goats? Nope. Is she willing to admit she doesn't know how to rope a goat? Nope. Does she admit someone her age has no business riding in a rodeo? Nope. Just made me smile. I hope in 10 years or so that I'm feisty enough to go out and rope goats if I want to...  I wouldn't want to...as I don't like rodeo (or circus performances for that matter) due to animal abuse. But....I COULD venture out and try it if I wanted to. :) My dog would probably let me rope her...carefully. :) Aunt Rowe is always up to something. :) If it isn't Hitchcock riling up the townsfolk by finding bodies or being seen at murder scenes, then it's Aunt Rowe doing something strange. I also enjoy how many of the local residents give Hitchcock side eye and call him a reincarnation of the legendary devil cat. While he is a black cat....and seems to appear at the scene of gruesome killings....he's really just a sweet, sleek, mini-panther. :)

The mystery is entertaining in The Black Cat Knocks on Wood. As usual, it moved along at a good pace with a fun side plot (senior rodeo). There were plenty of suspects and twists. Hitchcock freaked out the town again. And Sabrina once again had to prove her cat is not evil. Poor Hitchcock....so misunderstood. :)

I listened to the audio book version of this story (Tantor Audio). Narrated by Amy Rubinate, the audio is just a bit over 8 hours long. I have hearing loss, but could hear and understand this entire book. It did take me a bit to get used to the southern accent....but once I was accustomed to Rubinate's voice, this was an entertaining listen. Only took a chapter or two.

Fun read! There are four books in this series so far. I'm finally down to the last one I haven't read...book 3....The Black Cat Sees His Shadow.  I will definitely keep reading this series. I enjoy cozy mysteries that make me laugh. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment