Sunday, June 9, 2019

REVIEW: Her Last Breath

Her Last Breath
Author: Linda Castillo

An Amish father and two of his children are killed in a hit and run accident. The driver hit their buggy and then drove away, leaving them to die in the roadway. One child survives. Police Chief Kate Burkholder is horrified, but the case is even more painful for her because the mother of the children is her childhood best friend. Kate swears to her friend Mattie that she will find out who killed her family.

I listened to the audio book version of this story in one day. I couldn't stop listening....the plot was so engrossing and suspenseful that I just had to know who killed an innocent Amish family on their way home from a trip to town. The ending caught me totally by surprise. Excellent! This is by far my favorite book in the series so far. Solid plot. Lots of investigation. And some excellent twists and turns along the way. Loved it!

Her Last Breath is the 5th book in the Kate Burkholder series. The series has 10 books, with the 11th, Shamed, coming out in July. I'm reading my way through the whole series before I tackle my digital ARC of the new book. This series is one of my favorites. Kate Burkholder is intelligent, skilled at her job and driven to protect the people of Painter's Mill. She grew up Amish and left the faith, so she has to deal with that rift quite often. There is a splash of romance in the series as well, but it doesn't over power the main plot.

The audio book, narrated by Kathleen McInerney, is just under 10 hours long. McInerney has a pleasant voice and reads at a nice pace. She gives a great performance! I have hearing loss but was easily able to hear and understand this entire audio book. Nice listening experience!

On to book 6 -- The Dead Will Tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment