Thursday, June 20, 2019

REVIEW: The VanApfel Girls are Gone

The VanApfel Girls are Gone
Author: Felicity McLean

The VanApfel Girls disappeared in 1992. All 3 of them. Hannah, Ruth and Cordelia. Gone. No Trace. Never found. Tikka remembers when the girls disappeared. The mystery pulled the small Australian community together....but over time dark secrets are revealed.

This story develops slowly. It's richly atmospheric and subtle....sad, disturbing and mesmerizing. I couldn't put the book down once I got into the story. At first, I was a bit confused....but as I read more, I found myself totally sucked in by the tale. If you start reading and aren't sure if you like it or not....keep reading. It sneaks up on you! One second I was like...what?....but after another chapter, I was completely hooked. Let it build.....

That is all I'm going to say about the plot.....no spoilers from me. Just be aware this isn't an in your face, blood dripping, pulse pounding thriller.....it's a slow build, suspenseful mystery...a look into the past. The narrator was 11 when the girls disappeared, but she's looking back at the events in 1992 as an adult returning to the area. It makes for an awesome read!

This is the first book by Felicity McLean that I've read. This story is well-written and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author!

**I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy of this book from Algonquin Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment