Monday, June 22, 2020

REVIEW: The Girl and the Witch's Garden

The Girl and the Witch's Garden
Author: Erin Bowman

The Girl and the Witch's Garden is a magical but dramatic middle grade children's story. Piper Peavey is sent to spend the summer with her grandmother. Piper has a lot to deal with -- her father is dying, her mother abandoned her, her grandmother is eccentric....the estate is filled with foster kids who claim magical abilities. It's a weird situation. Piper is an awesome main character. She isn't perfect....but she seems real. She lies and manipulates others when necessary, but also shows great strength, resilience and kindness as well.

This story is magical, but has a hard edge of blunt truth to it as well. I think that made the story seem magical, but real at the same time. A fairy tale with a bit of bite to it.

This is the first book by Erin Bowman that I have read. I'm definitely going to read more. This story was enjoyable and well-written. Very though provoking. I'm not sure as a child I would have had the strength that Piper or the other children have. I don't think I would have liked a summer at the Mallory Estate or that I could have weathered the storms that Piper had in her life.

*I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Simon & Schuster. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment