Monday, June 8, 2020

REVIEW: Hell is Empty

Hell is Empty
Author: Craig Johnson

The Walt Longmire series is one of my favorites. I'm reading through the books slowly, savoring each story. I like the characters, the setting and the plots. I was a huge fan of the television show, but I like the books even more. The characters are a bit different and the plots are richer. I view the show and the books as two different visions of the same characters/plots and enjoy each for what they are.

Hell is Empty is the 7th book in the series. Three dangerous convicts escape from custody. One of them confessed to killing a 10-year old boy years before and burying the body in the surrounding Big Horn Mountains. The convicts disappear into the mountains during a snowstorm, forcing Longmire to track them into the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area. The final showdown just might be Longmire's last....

Another great book in the Longmire series! The plot is a little bit similar to a previous book (Longmire trapped in a life-or-death situation in the snow and aided by tribal spirits), but I didn't mind. The situation was different enough that it didn't seem like a needless plot recycle. I loved the ending. The showdown with the bad guys was awesome....and the little supernatural nuances added to the suspense.

I listened to the audio version of this book. George Guidell always gives an outstanding performance! He voices Longmire perfectly...and gives Vic the proper attitude. The audio is just over 8.5 hours long and a great listening experience!

I'm reading and listening my way through this series slowly so I can savor each book. I was so sad when the television series ended, so I'm avoiding catching up with the author on this series. I don't want to have to wait a year or more for a Longmire fix....I prefer to have a trip to Absaroka County available on-demand. So taking my time. :) I'm glad I am not impatient. This series is great....so there is always a waiting list for each audio book on my library's digital site. I finish one...and then put the next book on hold. It all works out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment