Wednesday, June 24, 2020

REVIEW: Relatively Dead

Relatively Dead
Author: Sheila Connolly

After finishing this audio book, I mulled this review over for an entire day before writing this review. I wasn't quite sure what to say. I read a lot of books every year and review each one. It's a given that occasionally I'm going to run across a book or series that just isn't for me.

I did not enjoy this book. That doesn't mean it isn't a good book or that I feel nobody should read it. The story and the characters were just not what I enjoy. And I'm going to explain why.

The plot seemed muted. Abby Kimbrell moves to New England with her boyfriend....and starts seeing dead people. She has strange visions of long-dead families and feels their emotions about family tragedies.  She isn't afraid of them....there is no interaction with the dead. She just sees them. The only emotion felt by Abby seems to be the recycling emotions of these long-deceased people. Instead of being suspenseful and exciting....the episodes got repetitive and even boring. The paranormal incidents followed by research at the library just never gelled into a compelling plot for me. I get that genealogy was meant to be the focus of the plot line, but it just had no umph to it. It dragged along for me with really no direction.

The main character spent most of the book whining about her obviously bad relationship. The boyfriend character was little more than a caricature of a self-centered jerk to move the plot towards Abby finding her strength to change her life. But really -- Abby showed no emotional investment in Brad. She showed no interest in meeting his friends. She showed little interest in doing anything with him -- never wanted to join in on his activities or relationships. She did a lot of whining about his lack of interest in her and what she enjoys -- while she showed little interest in him either. Toxic relationship for both of them.  Brad is a flat, undeveloped male character.....whose only purpose is to antagonize the main character. Bleck.

The writing itself is not bad. The story just never developed into anything compelling or suspenseful. Emily Durante gave a great performance as narrator. Her skilled reading kept me listening to the entire book, even when the plot really wasn't totally engaging me.

This series is just not for me. Others might read it and enjoy the premise, the characters and the plot. But I'm stopping my reading of this series at book one. So many books....limited time. I'm sticking to things that work for me. I have three other series by this author on my to-read shelves....and I'm going to try her other books. I have heard great things about Sheila Connolly's Museum, Orchard and County Cork cozy mysteries. Moving on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment