Thursday, May 20, 2021

REVIEW: Goblin

 Goblin
Author: Josh Malerman


Goblin. The town is strange. Its residents are strange. So, of course, most of what happens there is strange. Creepy. Scary.     Evil. 

I enjoyed this journey to Goblin through six novellas. And the prologue about a delivery man hauling mysterious, dangerous cargo set the tone for the entire book. Very weird and entertaining! The only other Josh Malerman book I've read is Bird Box. I'm pleasantly surprised that this book is different, yet maintains that weird, off-kilter feeling I got when I read Bird Box. I like Malerman's writing style. His brand of horror just makes me feel...creeped out, slightly uncomfortable, and thoroughly entertained. It's like horror movies where I find myself trying to tell the characters not to go in the basement, split up the party, hide upstairs, pick up the hitchhiker -- and the excited, yet creeped out feeling I get when they do it anyway. I kept wanting to tell these characters DONT look in the truck, never try to trap ghosts, don't go in the woods.....  They didn't listen. They did it anyway. They......    well, read the book to find out what happens!

I love the cover for this edition. It looks like the old weathered horror paperbacks I love to find with the supremely awesome creepy artwork on the front! It definitely fit the book!

Very entertaining! I'm definitely going to read more of his books. I've had A House at the Bottom of a Lake on my TBR list for a long time. I think it's time to finally read it! 

Horror lovers who are in the mood for something a bit different will like this book. It's strange....creepily uncomfortable....and awesome!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Random House. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**


No comments:

Post a Comment