Monday, May 17, 2021

REVIEW: The Scariest Stories You've Ever Heard, Part 2

 The Scariest Stories You've Ever Heard, Part 2
Author: Katharine Burt

This book picks up where the first Scariest Stories You've Ever Heard left off....and gathers 11 more creepy short tales for kids. Most of the stories are urban legends/ghost stories/campfire tales that adults have heard before....the sorts of stories we scared each other with on campouts or at slumber parties.  The stories are for kids...so they are creepy but not TOO creepy. Each tale is just a few pages long,,,perfcect length for reading out loud. I could also see these stories being used for a creative writing assignment in a classroom....read a story to the class, then have then write their own short scary tale! Or just as a book in the class library for free time reading, especially in the fall. Fun! 

I just happened to find an old, used copy of this book at a 2nd and Charles bookstore in SC. Grabbed it right up! I love these old kid's books, especially when they are ghost stories/creepy/Goosebumps type books. :) Always fun to read! I enjoyed this book so much I hunted up copies of Part
1 and 3 as well! 

I enjoyed each of these stories! Most were ones I have heard in one form or another before....but a couple were new to me!

Very entertaining!

**Just an aside, but it makes my teeth clench when adults rate down children's books for the stories being too simple, ones they have heard before, or for stories not being scary/violent/bloody enough -- when the book is written for CHILDREN and not adults.  If you want spurting blood, grab an ADULT horror novel. These stories were written or adapted from urban legends/campfire stories for middle grade age children more than 30 years ago! Just my opinion -- enjoy these stories in the context of when and who they were written for....and just have fun!**

No comments:

Post a Comment