Sunday, June 6, 2021

REVIEW: Shudders

Ten Tales Calculated to Give You: Shudders
Editor: Ross J. Olney

Shudders gathers 10 classic creepy stories by a mix of British and American writers. When I saw Robert Bloch's name in the mix twice, I knew I had to read this book! And I'm glad I did! I enjoyed every single story!


This book, first published in 1972 and re-printed in 1979, is out of print. But I did find a Nook ebook version with an updated cover for sale at Barnes & Noble, plus many used copies available online. 

The stories included are: 

Sweets to the Sweet by Robert Bloch
The Waxwork by A. M. Burrage
Used Car by H. R. Wakefield
The Inexperienced Ghost by H.G. Wells
The Whistling Room by William Hope Hodgson
The Last Drive by Carl Jacobi
The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs
Second Night Out by Frank Belknap Long
The Hills Beyond Furcy by Robert G. Anderson
The Floral Tribute by Robert Bloch

My favorite of the collection is a story I've read many times in one form or another and even seen adapted for television -- The Monkey's Paw. Great story! But...all the stories were good. I liked the fact that they were varied...no two stories are along the same theme. Everything from witches to sea monsters! Fun! 

Very entertaining collection of stories!







No comments:

Post a Comment