Tuesday, June 1, 2021

REVIEW: The Skeleton Tree

 The Skeleton Tree
Author: Diane Janes


I love suspenseful stories that take the every-day and turn it into something extraordinary and disturbing. Wendy Thornton dreamed of an old house that she couldn't afford. She dreamed of renovating it for her family, making it their own. Then miraculously she was suddenly able to afford the home that was out of their price range....  That's when the dream started to become a nightmare. 

This book wasn't what I expected. I thought it was going to be the story of a creepy house. Instead, it was more about a bad marriage, family dysfunction, broken dreams, obsession, hidden secrets.... Pretty heavy stuff. The story dragged a bit in places, but I stayed right with it...I wanted to know what happened to the characters. I have to say that most of the main cast are totally self-absorbed and unlikeable. But that's kind of the point, really. 

I didn't see the end coming. That fact impressed me the most. 

I enjoyed this book, even though it was not at all what I expected. It's the first book by Diane Janes that I've read. I'm definitely going to read more of her writing. I like her style. This story surprised me...and I look forward to reading more!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Severn House. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment