Friday, June 4, 2021

REVIEW: 13 Ghosts - Strange But True Stories

 13 Ghosts: Strange But True Stories
Author: Will Osborne


Published in 1988, this book gathers 13 stories based on historical legends of haunted houses and other creepy places around the world. Borley Rectory. The Tulip Stairs. Even a haunted German submarine. The stories are varied, creepy and entertaining! The book is written for middle grade students, so the tales are creepy but not TOO creepy. 

I love reading these old OOP Scholastic books - makes me nostalgic for when my kids were younger and we read stories like this out loud. Or, even further back, when I ordered books like this for myself on those awesome school book order sheets! 

I enjoyed the stories in this book! Most are stories I have heard before, but some were new to me. Each story is only a few pages long, so reluctant readers who love ghost stories would enjoy this book. I could see it being free-range reading for a classroom in the fall, or just as a fun read for kids (and adults) who enjoy slightly creepy haunting tales based on supposedly true ghost stories. 

This was a quick, very enjoyable read! I love ghost stories, and these tales were very entertaining! The cover art work is wonderful! 

This book is Out of Print, but used copies are readily available online. 



No comments:

Post a Comment