Friday, November 19, 2021

REVIEW: The Return of the Pharoah

 The Return of the Pharoah
Author: Nicholas Meyer


I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to the original stories,  retellings,  and new adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I just can't get enough of the character! My shelf, of course, has an old hardback copy of The Seven Percent Solution by this author. When I saw this new book by Meyer, I knew I had to read it. I enjoyed his 2019 book The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols, and I enjoyed this new story too! 

It is 1910. Dr. Watson heads to Egypt with his wife, who suffers from Tuberculosis. While his wife is resting and receiving treatment, Watson unexpectedly bumps into his old friend, Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is investigating a case....and Watson (of course) gets sucked into it with him. With the help of a soon-to-be-famous archeologist, the two old friends are on the case! 

Loved this book! Lots of descriptions of Egypt, archaelogy in the early 1900s, the political climate at the time....all wrapped up within a great Sherlock investigation! 

I'm definitely on-board to read more of these Watson's Journals/Sherlock mystery tales by Nicholas Meyer. They have the feel of the originals by Arthur Conan Doyle and always keep my attention from start to finish! And, the front cover is awesome!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment