Tuesday, November 9, 2021

REVIEW: Watching Darkness Fall

 Watching Darkness Fall
Author: David McKean


Watching Darkness Fall tells the story of the rise of the Third Reich from the perspectives of Joseph Kennedy, William Dodd, Breckinridge Long and William Bullitt,  US foreign ambassadors under FDR. David McKean, a former ambassador himself, lays out the history in an interesting, very detailed, informative way. 

I read this book slowly, stopping frequently to look things up so I understood the who, what and whys behind the early days of the Reich. I've read a lot about this era over the years, but still managed to learn many new facts from this book. This isn't a quick read -- there is a lot of detailed information. But it's well worth reading for those interested in what occurred. 

This is the first book I've read by David McKean. I'm definitely going to check out his other books. I like his writing style and he definitely knows his subject well! Detailed historical accounts can get a bit dry, but McKean kept it interesting throughout. Very informative!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment