Saturday, February 5, 2022

REVIEW: Desolation Canyon

 Desolation Canyon
Author: P.J. Tracy


I am a huge fan of the Monkeewrench books so when I saw this new series starting I was ecstatic! Somehow amid the pandemic and a new job, I totally missed book 1, Deep Into the Dark, when it came out in early 2021. Book 2 caught my eye when I was offered a review copy -- and I jumped right on it! Backed up and read book 1 first....then jumped into my early copy of Desolation Canyon.  About halfway through my digital ARC, I snagged a review copy of the audio book and started the story over. 

Loved it! This book keeps the action, suspense and gritty characters from the first book....and even bumps things up a notch. I like Margaret Nolan and Sam Easton as the main characters. Both have their flaws and issues from their past, but they are also both intelligent, driven and talented investigators. The only part of the plot that gave me pause was the Russian mafia angle. "The Russians are behind it'' angle has been used too much....for me, it always comes off as a bit melodramatic just because it's overused. BUT....saying that....I have to add that I still got sucked into the story and enjoyed this book immensely! 

I can't wait for the next book! Definitely a fan! 

The audio book version of this story is just shy of 8 hours long and is narrated by Abby Craden. She reads at a good pace, has a nice voice and does a great job of voice acting. Very enjoyable listen! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy from St Martins Press and listened to a review audio book from Macmillan Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment