Friday, February 4, 2022

REVIEW: The Plane that Wasn't There

 The Plane that Wasn't There
Author: Jeff Wise


MH370. I remember the day they announced the plane had disappeared. I figured they would find wreckage quickly and the news would switch from calling it a mystery to an accident quickly. But, it didn't happen. Very little wreckage was found and experts still don't know what happened. I know very little about commercial airliners, flight paths, sonar, and the science involved in finding something underneath miles of ocean water.  But I'm fascinated by it and try to learn as much as I can. A plane seems large and basically "unloseable" until the reality sinks in that it's lost amid hundreds of miles of ocean.....and most likely seven miles underwater. The plane really isn't that big when thought of in those terms. 

I found this book on Audible Plus and wanted to learn more about the search for the plane and the science behind it. I didn't know who Jeff Wise is until I started listening. Wise is a science journalist and was an expert hired by a media outlet to give reports when the plane went missing. So, he knows the case and has opinions. Better informed opinions than me. 

So I listened. 

Wise presents the facts and the science in an interesting way. He explains how they used sonar pings and satellite communication to find a way to trace the plane. I kept stopping the audio to look things up when I needed more information on the plane, people he mentions, the situation, the Malaysian government, etc

I enjoyed the science, Wise's explanations of how the search progressed and the information about the plane and its inner workings. But, Wise also interjected an idea of what might have happened to the plane and why.  I found his musings about hijacking a bit far fetched because I couldn't find a motive behind it. Why would anyone -- even a terrorist or government group -- go through such an intricate plan to take an airplane? I could follow his ideas through the reasons why it could have happened that way.....but his explanations of WHY it would have been done just didn't seem credible to me. In a James Bond movie where everything has to be grandiose and overdone....yes.  In real life world politics, no. The answer to every unexplained tragedy that causes multiple deaths is not:  The Russians. 

But, I'm not an expert.

The only way we will ever know is if they find the plane. 

Interesting listen. The audio runs 2 hrs 22 minutes, and is read by the author. I'm glad I took the time to listen to this audio book. The science and background information is fascinating. But, Wise's conspiracy theory falls a bit flat IMHO. 

This is the first book by Jeff Wise that I've read. I will definitely read more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment