Saturday, June 15, 2024

REVIEW: A History of the World in Twelve Shipwrecks

 A History of the World in Twelve Shipwrecks
Author: David Gibbins


I'm a bit of a history geek. I read about it. Watch documentaries about it. Even studied it in college. There's just something about the past that calls to me. How did we get to where we are in modern times? What was it like to live in other eras? How did we learn and discover so much about medicine, mathematics, philosophy, the Universe, physics....humanity itself? I just find it all so fascinating. 

I've read hundreds of books about history in general, historical events, famous people and places....  I love it when I discover a new-to-me author who surprises me. And this book definitely surprised me.

Telling history through a progression of shipwrecks through time. Wow. What an interesting concept! I knew when I read the blurb for this book that I needed to read it. And, while I'm glad I did, the follow through was a bit below expectations. 

I love the concept of this book. From pre-history through to sunken WWII U-boats, Gibbons picked out 12 interesting shipwrecks and used them as waypoints through history. But I found the presentation a bit dry and like a rote recitation of general facts rather than an interesting dive into these wrecks, the eras they came from, and what they can tell us about the people who lived in those eras. 

Did I find the information interesting? Yes.  Did I appreciate his choices for wrecks to feature. Yes, again. Did I enjoy reading this book? No, not really. 

History can be presented in a way that makes it pop from the page and become engaging, interesting and intriguing. Gibbons' writing did not give me that feeling. I felt like I was in a history lecture given by the professor nobody wants to get -- the class everyone dreads. Like the English professor I had in college that made me loath Shakespeare with a passion because he was so incredibly boring that it just killed any enjoyment or learning I could have gleaned from his class. 

That sounds harsh. It's not meant that way. The concept is wonderful. The history is amazing. 

But the writing....is dry and boring. 

I thought maybe I was just expecting too much. So I peeked at other reviews, and I see that lots of other readers agree with me. So, this is my honest review. 

Great concept. I can tell the author is knowledgeable. But the book is boring. There's no life in the words. I will gladly read a future book by this author if he puts some spark in his style....puts some light in the words he is sharing with readers. 

This just off as dull. I'm giving this 3/5 stars based on the creative concept and the wrecks he chose to feature. But the actual presentation could have been so much more engaging and interesting. 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment