Tuesday, July 5, 2016

REVIEW: Ghosthunting North Carolina

Ghosthunting North Carolina
Author: Kala Ambrose

North Carolina is a beautiful and interesting state. In addition to the beaches, forests and mountains, there is so much history to experience. From Roanoke Island, the site of the first English settlement in North America, to Revolutionary and Civil War History, there is no shortage of NC historical sites and people to study. There are also many NC folk tales, legends and ghost stories.

Ghosthunting North Carolina touches on a few allegedly haunted sites across the state. The book is divided into 3 main sections: eastern coastal area, Piedmont central region and western mountains.

To be honest, I found this book to be a little light on facts about these sites and more about Kala Ambrose's ghost hunting tips and alleged "psychic'' feelings. More than one of the stories were condensed into just a couple paragraphs ending with a notation not to try and ghosthunt at the site because it is on private property.  My guess is that the intended audience for this book is amateur ghost hunters, rather than those who are interested in the spooky tales and legends from around the state. I think I prefer books that creatively recount the tales, rather than offer supposed ghost hunting tips.

I adore a good, spooky ghost story. But I draw the line at believing in EVPs, orbs (that are obviously dust motes or insects illuminated by camera or lighting equipment), or shows/groups like Ghost Hunters. So, while I enjoyed the stories in this book for the most part, I was hoping for more tale and less psychic talk. I had to chuckle at one point when she said she detected no spirits at one site but felt the angry vibes from property owners tired of ghost hunters wandering through their neighborhood. I can understand that.....it would get old quickly.

I'm not faulting anyone who does enjoy traipsing about with a tape recorder and a video camera. I'm just more into the historical legends and stories, rather than actual spirit hunting.

For me, I prefer the story telling of Charles Whedbee when it comes to North Carolina legends, hauntings and spooky places. I bought one of his books on a trip to  Nag's Head on the outerbanks, and was instantly hooked. Great storytelling......and no ghost hunting info.

If you are a ghost enthusiast, I would recommend this book. If you are more into great storytelling and legends, I'd skip this one and try the  books by Charles Whedbee instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment