Sunday, July 17, 2016

REVIEW: The Last Town by Blake Crouch

The Last Town
Author: Blake Crouch

The Last Town is the final book in the Wayward Pines trilogy.

I usually don't read an entire series very quickly. I read one book then wander to other genres before coming back to read the next book. Not this time. I read all 3 books in this series within days. I just couldn't stop reading. Even though I already knew the basic plot (season 1 of the television show covers the entire series), I found myself totally engrossed in the story.

I did have to mindfully suspend reality, as the science was more than a bit far-fetched. Long term suspended animation is so far not possible, but is the basic premise behind Wayward Pines. I found the premise fascinating enough to get me past that little voice in my head that wanted to call BS. The last remnants of the human race fighting for survival in a hostile environment was enough to keep me reading.

In book 3, the residents of Wayward Pines have discovered the town's secret. They begin to rebel, causing the man who created the town to declare himself god, and bring down his wrath against the citizens of Wayward Pines.

In a bloody, gut-wrenching finale, the last speck of humanity on Earth faces the biggest challenge in history: extinction.

I loved this series! I decided to postpone watching Season 2 of the television show until I had read the books. The television show covered the entire trilogy in season 1, so is now branching off into new territory.  As with most television adaptations, the show deviated from the books quite a bit. The basic plot is intact, but some characters, plot points and outcomes are very different between the two versions. I wanted to enjoy Crouch's books without any interference from the continuing television story.  The final sentence of the trilogy was a powerful and perfect ending. But it left me wondering.....then what happened??  Maybe the television series will give me an answer to that question, as Crouch has said that there most likely will be no more Wayward Pines books.

Crouch has written several other books including Abandon, Desert Places, Snow Bound and Run. His newest book, Dark Matter, is being released July 26th.





No comments:

Post a Comment