Saturday, September 29, 2018

REVIEW: In Want of a Knife

In Want of a Knife
Author: Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli

In Want of a Knife is the third book in the Little Library Mysteries series. While delivering newspapers, Harold Roach finds the body of a woman on the side of the road outside Bear Falls, MI. Janice Root, a 17 year old local, was apparently killed by a hit and run driver. But soon, another local girl, Camille Otis, disappears. Are the two incidents related? Where is Camille? Local Librarian Jenny Weston and author Zoe Zola team up to investigate.

This is the first book in this series that I've read. I had a bit of trouble connecting with the characters. I found the three main female characters to be a bit bitter, whiney and annoying...   But that could be because I jumped into this series on book 3. I have the first two books on my TBR shelf and I'm going to read them....then return to this book and re-read it. I might change my opinions a bit once I have the full background and knowledge of the prior two books. As it stands, this cozy was an ok read, but nothing outstanding. It seemed a bit trope-y to me with its Pride and Prejudice references (two characters named Charles Bingman and Fitzwilliam Dillon, for example...and one character writing a book about the crappy treatment of women in Austen's time.) and predictable plot. It might be a case of this series just not being my cup of tea. Not every book will engage every reader. I love the Little Library concept...great background theme for a cozy series. I just didn't like the characters or the P&P references. Fell flat for me.

I will go back and read from book 1 and see if that improves my opinion. I will edit this review if it does.

Just an ok read for me. Entertaining enough as cozies are light reads....but not enjoyable enough for me to continue with this series.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Crooked Lane via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment