Friday, September 14, 2018

REVIEW: Lethal Letters

Lethal Letters
Author: Ellery Adams

Lethal Letters is the 6th book in the 8-book Books By The Bay Mysteries series by Ellery Adams. This is by far my favorite book in the series so far! The plot was suspenseful, interesting and complex. While finding old letters and a time capsule that lead to a mystery is not a new plot device, I liked the creative way it was done in this book. It was a little bit of a different twist on an old standby with lots of suspects, twists and turns.

In my reviews of previous books I have commented that this series annoys me a little bit because it's just a bit too much like women's fiction and I felt that got in the way of the mystery portion of the plot. And I felt previous stories concentrated too much time on the relationship between the main character and her boyfriend, and their sex life. There are only so many times I want to hear about her cop lover's nipples....  This cozy series has adult situations and sex in it a lot -- not graphic....just a bit more gettin' busy than is usually in a cozy mystery series. The series is definitely a blend of women's fiction and mystery. I prefer less women's fiction/romance and more mystery....    I was happy reading this book because it really stuck to task -- finding the killer and solving the mystery about a time capsule and letters -- and the romance portion was background character development. No descriptions of men's nipples! Hooray! (Now before any men get defensive and ask me if I have a problem with mipples.....I don't. I just want more mystery....less naked time. It gets a bit melodramatic when male characters are saying flowery love stuff that no male ever says outside a bad romance novel....       This time, the blend was a bit more even. I don't think I did any eyerolls at bad dialogue the entire time. Definitely my favorite book in the series so far!

I'd definitely say this series calls for some parental guidance if a child wants to read it. PG13 probably at least. Adult situations. Sex. Some cussing. Nothing over the top. Just a bit more adult stuff than is usually in a cozy series. But....this series makes up for it with complex plots and interesting characters.

Moving on to book #7.....Writing All Wrongs.


No comments:

Post a Comment