Sunday, December 30, 2018

REVIEW: An Anonymous Girl

An Anonymous Girl
Authors: Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen's first novel, The Wife Between Us, completely creeped me out. So I was prepared for demented and twisty when I picked up their new novel -- An Anonymous Girl.

Not. Prepared. Enough.

Holy crap. There is nothing scarier than a scenario that could actually happen. This tale of jealousy, lies, manipulation, and madness could happen.....and that makes it the worst sort of mind game. Ok Greer & Sarah....kudos ladies! You got me again. I am totally creeped out.

Awesome story! I picked up this book this morning fully intending to read a couple chapters then get some laundry, chores, etc done. Poof...suddenly it's this afternoon and I got nothing else done but read this book. Total binge.

The basics: A make up artist in NYC needs a little extra cash. She's getting a bit desperate. She didn't hit it big doing makeup for theater productions like she dreamed....she's making calls on clients to pretty them up for dates, events, etc. It's a job....but not a high paying one. She hears about a blind study on morality and ethics that pays $500. She could use the money....so she tells a bit of a fib to get into the study. Little does she know that lying to get into this study on ethics will be more than ironic.....it's going to be twisted and dark.

The story definitely kept my attention from start to finish. Lots of psychological suspense. I felt sympathy for the main character, Jessica. Jess hangs on to guilt and self esteem issues from past decisions and actions....and those hangups are used to manipulate the crap out of her. It was disturbing because we all carry similar emotional baggage. In the hands of a knowledgeable manipulative person...maybe we all could be victimized like she is in this story.

Don't read this story looking for high literature.....this is mind candy of a disturbing nature. It's meant to create a feeling, an unease, discomfort....not existential literary fulfillment. Grab a classic for existential....grab this book for a total mind F. It makes for an awesome afternoon of psychological torment! I loved it!  I can't wait to see what twisted plot they come up with next! I will definitely read it!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from St. Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment