Tuesday, December 18, 2018

REVIEW: Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal

Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal
Author: Rose Pressey

Cozy mysteries are my book candy. When I need something sweet and light, I run right to my favorite cozy writers. I've been reading a lot of horror and hard-hitting thrillers lately, and needed a good palate cleanser. Rose Pressey is one of my favorite cozy authors. Her books never fail to be entertaining and fun, with just a splash of supernatural spookiness.

Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal is the 7th book in the Haunted Vintage mystery series. Cookie Chanel owns a vintage clothing shop, It's Vintage Y'all, in Sugar Creek, GA. While I don't really care about fashion, vintage or otherwise, Cookie also sees ghosts. In fact, one of her best friends is....well, dead. Charlotte Meadows, former socialite, now hangs around the shop and helps Cookie choose vintage outfits and solve mysteries. That isn't the strangest thing about Cookie's life though.....the spirit of her deceased grandmother lives inside Cookie's cat Wind Song. Since the cat can't talk, the grandmother gives advice using a Ouija board. Occasionally other spirits stop by...mostly to ask Cookie to help solve their murders. Just par for the course...

This time around it's fall and Photographer Tyler Fields is shooting pictures for the upcoming October issue of Fashion & Style magazine. Cookie helped pick out some vintage outfits for the  models so she's watching the photo shoot at the local Sugar Creek Cemetery.  Tyler is a bit rude, yelling at the models and acting like an ass. Just as Cookie meets a new spirit named Minnie from the 1920s, a gunshot rings out. Tyler Fields will never be rude again. Who killed the photographer? Cookie and her spirit pals are on the case!

This series is just fun to read. The characters are cute and work together well at amateur sleuthing. What Cookie can't ferret out, her spirit buddies generally can. That's one of the perks of working with ghosts that nobody else can see or hear. I like the lovely feline Wind Song....especially since it's also Cookie's grandmother. I don't think I would like it if my cats could talk to me using an Ouija board....I think all they would do is complain. :)

This newest book has some nice character development and sweet moments as well. The end was heart-warming for a couple of reasons and was a great closer for the story. I was also pleased to read a teaser chapter at the end of the book from a new Rose Pressey series -- The Haunted Arts & Crafts Mystery Series -- coming soon from Kensington. I will definitely be reading the first book in that series as soon as I can get it! :) Rose Pressey never disappoints....I love the mix of humor and mystery in her cozies. She develops her background theme quite well with info and tips on vintage fashion and where to find good deals on vintage items. The background theme doesn't over power the mystery or the characters though....just adds a nice flair. The supernatural elements aren't over-done, but just the icing on the story. This series is enjoyable and always well written. It's great as a fun palate cleanser when my brain gets its fill of horror and crime drama. :)

I will definitely keep reading this series! Can't wait for book 8!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment