Saturday, December 1, 2018

REVIEW: Murder in the Dark

Murder in the Dark
Author: Simon R. Green

Ishmael Jones and his partner Penny Balcourt are on another case. This time, a strange black hole has opened up in a hillside in Somerset. A group of scientists have been sent to examine and study the phenomena. Jones has been called in because an archaeologist fell into the hole and disappeared. Upon arrival, they find that communication outside the site is limited to one phone call per day from the mysterious organization that sent them there. No cell phones. No radio communication. And only limited internet. They understand very little about the pitch dark, strange hole they are here to study or about why everything surrounding their work is so secret. What's the truth about the absolute darkness on an isolated hillside?

I love the Ishmael Jones series! Ishmael reminds me of an alien, much more spooky, Fox Mulder. Working for a mysterious government group called The Organization, Ishmael and Penny investigate all things alien, supernatural and downright dangerous. The stories are dark, strange and suspenseful. Murder in the Dark is the 6th book in this series. Simon Green tells a great spooky story. This series has never let me down. I like the shorter length of these novels. I can get in a great supernatural fix without a lot of extra fluff. Green jumps right into the action, sending Ishmael and Penny off to all corners of the world to investigate all sorts of strange, warped and usually top secret happenings. I like how the two main characters compliment each other. Where one is weak, the other is strong. They make a great team. Ishmael's background story is eerie in itself, which really makes the character perfect for this type of series.

Murder in the Dark is an awesome addition to this series. I'm definitely going to keep reading. I like Simon Green's writing style. I still miss The Nightside series, but this new series is equally as enjoyable for me. I can't wait to find out what sort of trouble they will be in next! This is one series I would love to see made into a television series or even movies. It would have to be done true to Green's writing though. I don't want another Dresden Files debacle. I hate it when I get so excited about a film adaptation of a favorite series, only to discover they totally mangled the plot or characterizations!! Do it right, or leave it alone.

Although it isn't completely necessary to read this series in order, to get the full background of characters and past events, it's probably best to start at the beginning rather than hopping in at book six. But, this story would be enjoyable even without all the background on The Organization and Ishmael & Penny.

Great addition to this series! I look forward to their next adventure!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Severn House via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment