Wednesday, December 26, 2018

REVIEW: I'll Be Gone in the Dark

I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Author: Michelle McNamara

Michelle McNamara, a true crime journalist, spent years researching a case involving multiple rapes and murders in California. She gave the murderer a nickname -- The Golden State Killer. At the time of her unexpected death in 2016 following an accidental drug overdose, she was still compiling her notes and thoughts on the case. This book was published posthumously in 2018 by her widower, Patton Oswalt, and others who worked painstakingly on her notes to bring the facts McNamara had gathered to light. Two years after her death, and only weeks after publication of I'll Be Gone in the Dark, a suspect was arrested in the case -- Joseph James DeAngelo, Jr.

Thank you, Michelle.

I listened to the audio book version of this story, and it was a hard listen. Not because of anything wrong with the story....the writing is amazing, the facts well researched and the story is compelling. But....it's hard to think about all those people this killer victimized over more than 40 years without getting caught. He started with rapes in the late 70s and progressed to murders. He managed to live his life and walk in the open for decades. Until now. With DNA evidence pointing to him as the killer, DeAngelo is most likely the killer. It's not over until a conviction is handed down....but I have to say that I do not have any sympathy for the 72-year old, frail-looking old man who most likely terrorized multiple people in California for decades. No sympathy at all. At the end of McNamara's book she states that someday she hoped a car would pull up in his driveway and he would open his door to the police. Then his face would no longer be a secret....and he would be finally caught. I hope somewhere in the cosmos, Michelle knows they got him. Finally.

I have total respect for Patton Oswalt, Researcher Paul Haynes, Author Gillian Flynn (she wrote the introduction to the book) and everyone who worked so hard to publish Michelle's thoughts, research and insights into this case. What a brilliant way to honor an intelligent woman who left too soon....who was gone before she was finished.

So, while I found this book disturbing (who wouldn't?) it is brilliant and a triumph. I have to say that some of the descriptions about victims who heard slight noises at night and woke up to this rapist and killer lurking in the dark in their bedrooms was the stuff of nightmares. I slept with my chihuahuas and my pit bull for two nights while listening to this book.....comfort and protection. :)

Narrated by Gabra Zackman, the audio book is just over 10 hours long. Zackman's voice is strong and pleasant. I enjoyed her reading. I have partial hearing loss, but was easily able to hear and understand the entire book. All in all, an informative and enjoyable listening experience, even though the topic itself is disturbing by nature.

HBO is currently working on a docu-series based on this book. I can't wait to watch it! I will probably need all of my dogs....and my cats....sitting with me as I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment