Saturday, January 9, 2021

REVIEW: The Perfect Guests

 The Perfect Guests
Author: Emma Rous


What a fun, twisty story! It ended up being a binge read for me.....I couldn't put it down. Wickedly fun read!

1988: A young girl comes to stay at Raven Hall as a companion to the Averell's daughter, Nina. She loves it there and wants to stay. She's willing to do just about anything they ask...but it gets out of hand. 

2019: An out of work actress is invited to Raven Hall. A murder mystery weekend. Eight guests. Isolated at the out of the way estate. Turns out there is more going on than a simple weekend of play acting a murder story.....much, much more. 

I don't normally care for stories that use time jumps, but for this story it works. The story jumps back and forth from Beth's time to Sadie's, twisting the two timelines together to reveal what happened at Raven Hall. It had a bit of a "And Then There Were None'' feel to it. 

Portions of the plot were a bit melodramatic....but this was a very entertaining, engrossing read. Sometimes we all need a bit of a murder-y soap opera! And this definitely fit the bill for me. I needed something suspenseful and sordid....check and check! The entire time I kept thinking to myself how much fun it would be to join in a murder mystery weekend at an isolated country house....until things got a bit too real of course. 

This is the first book by Emma Rous that I've read. I'm definitely going to check out her other book, the Au Pair!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment