Tuesday, January 12, 2021

REVIEW: Tales from the Hinterland

 Tales from the Hinterland
Author: Melissa Albert


This collection of 12 creepy fairy tales reminded me of my first reading of the original stories by the Brothers Grimm. I remember being shocked when I read the actual fairy tale stories where the evil stepsisters cut off part of their feet to make the glass slipper fit, people were executed inside barrels studded with nails, and witches ate children. Disney definitely cleaned things up a bit before making cute movies based on the old stories! Melissa Albert takes the feel of those old cautionary fairy tales and brings them into her Hinterland world. Perfect! I loved every single story! 

Don't look for fairy tale endings in these stories. Every one of them is dark and creepy, but incredibly entertaining!!

As a fan of The Hazel Wood and The Night Country, I love the fact that the collection of tales mentioned in the books have been published. I'm going to go back and re-read from the beginning now! 

Although these stories are set in the Hinterland and are part of the series, the collection can be read as stand-alone stories as well. Someone who hasn't read the books but who loves dark fairy tales would still enjoy these 12 stories! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Flatiron Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment