Thursday, July 13, 2023

REVIEW: The Haunted House and Other Spooky Poems and Tales



The Haunted House & Other Spooky Poems and Tales
Editor: Vic Crume & Gladys Schwarcz


Back in the day, I owned a copy of this book and absolutely loved reading the poems and short little spooky stories over and over again. It was passed down to me by my older sister and I'm sure was passed on to my nephews after I was done with it. A very well-read and much enjoyed book! 

This book is long out of print, but used copies are available online. It contains 39 tales, poems, gravestone epitaphs, and even songs all on a spooky theme. Age appropriate for middle grade readers. 

I felt very nostalgic as I read back through every story in this collection. It's been decades since I last read this book, but I read it so many times that I remembered most of the stories and poems after reading a few lines. I remember sitting in my room on my bed and reading these stories -- the spooky quarry, the velvet ribbon, a ghostly cradle...so many neat and varied stories! And I remembered the illustrations. Loved them as a kid! Still do as an adult!

The illustrations in this book are awesome, but the used copy I found online did not have a title page or show any credit given to the artist. I researched a bit to try and discover who illustrated and found out that Gerry Contreras provided the drawings. Awesome work! His name should have been on the front cover with the editors, in my opinion, as his drawings really made the book!! 

Loved reading this again! I wish I still had my old copy! I tried to choose one story/poem as my favorite and I just couldn't do it. I will just have to say that I enjoy them all! And, I'm glad I found this book online so I could enjoy reading it again! As I was posting my review to Goodreads, I saw another reader's review that talked about a vinyl record that was released with this book. I had no idea!! I found the recording on Youtube:   https://youtu.be/mqH4xFBtLZY    yay!!!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment