Monday, July 10, 2023

REVIEW: Behold the Monster

 Behold the Monster
Author: Jillian Lauren



I have to admit that I found this book disturbing and hard to read. Mostly because I could not imagine sitting across the table from someone who killed at least 93 women, maybe more. It just chilled me to the bone.....but I couldn't stop reading. 

Jillian Lauren skillfully paints a picture of the time she spent as the "best friend" of serial killer Samuel Little. Their relationship started with a letter and blossomed into recorded phone calls, prison visits, a docuseries, and a strange almost-friendship. Lauren wanted to know how many women he killed and to give those women a voice. And Samuel wanted to talk. And....talk, he did. 

Yikes. Kudos to Jillian Lauren for bringing many of these women's deaths to light from out of cold case files. And for her dedication to research and interviews with Samuel before his death from Covid in 2020. She tells a graphic and disturbing tale....but tells it well. 

This book is disturbingly real and frightening, but I read every last word. The story is also told in the television series "Confronting a Serial Killer." I haven't watched it yet, but since I read the book I will definitely watch the series. 

I'm up for whatever Jillian Lauren chooses to investigate and write about next! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Sourcebooks. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment