Sunday, January 30, 2022

REVIEW: A Curious Beginning

 A Curious Beginning
Author: Deanna Raybourn


I have had the Veronica Speedwell series on my TBR list for some time, but my TBR is so ponderous that sometimes awesome series get pushed down the list and I forget about them. As I was perusing an email from my regional library, the cover of this book caught my eye, and I remembered that I wanted to read this series. I'm SO glad I did -- this first book was so much fun to listen to on audio! I can't wait to listen to/read the rest of the books! 

Veronica Speedwell is a feisty, intelligent, self-reliant woman. That's a rough mix in 1887 when women are really supposed to just get married, have babies and be happy about it.  Veronica, orphaned at a young age and raised by two older aunts, has always forged her own way. When her last spinster aunt passes away, she's free to pursue her life the way she wants to....but her plans get waylaid almost immediately by strange events. She is almost kidnapped, mysterious strangers seem to be stalking her, and she gets pulled into an unexpected dangerous mystery about her family. 

I absolutely enjoyed every minute of the audio book! Narrated by Angele Masters, the audio is just shy of 11 hours long. Masters has a pleasant, easily understandable voice. She reads at a nice pace and does a great job of voice acting. 

I'm glad to finally be reading this series! Sorry that I wanted so long, but enjoying the experience now that I got my act together and moved these books to the top of my TBR!

This is the first book by Deanna Raybourn that I've read. I will definitely be reading more! (Like...ALL of them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment