Saturday, April 2, 2016

REVIEW: The Old Willis Place

The Old Willis Place
Author: Mary Downing Hahn
Middle Grade fiction

Diana and her little brother Georgie have been playing and living in the woods around Oak Hill Manor for a very long time. They have the run of the Manor property as long as they follow the rules: they need to be sure nobody sees them, they can't leave the property, and they have to leave the owner, old Miss Lillian, alone. The rules are simple enough to follow until a new caretaker comes, bringing his 12-year old daughter, Lissa, with him. Diana wants to have a friend, so she breaks the rules. Her decision to befriend Lissa has consequences that will reveal long hidden secrets.

This book was a very enjoyable spooky story. The characters are believable, and the story is very well paced. The story is scary, but age appropriate. The plot is a bit predictable for adults, but still a good read even if the reader guesses the situation. I loved the cover art! The cover is what enticed me to read the book. I'm glad I did! I love ghost stories and even though this book was written for children, I found myself pulled into the tale, eagerly reading to find out what was going to happen next!

Mary Downing Hahn has written 9 other ghostly tales for middle grade kids. I'm definitely going to read more by her. It was definitely an entertaining afternoon read!

My rating: 7/10
Ages 10+
A few spooky situations, but nothing inappropriate for middle grade kids

No comments:

Post a Comment