Saturday, June 16, 2018

REVIEW: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Author: Lewis Carroll

I read this book many times as a child and loved it. I enjoyed how the book used artwork, word art and font changes to make the story so much fun. And the characters....I was in love with the Cheshire cat immediately. And so many memorable lines to quote. :)

I decided to revisit this childhood favorite as part of The Great American Read (PBS). Because this is a re-read of a book I have read many, many times before, I decided to try an audio format. I was curious to see if some of the magic would be lost without the art and wonky words. And, I have to say I did miss that a little bit. But the magic spark is still there, even without a physical book in my hands. I enjoyed the Audible original version, narrated by Scarlett Johansson. She did a great job with the voices and silliness. I have hearing loss, but was easily able to understand every ridiculous, funny second of this audio book. :)

The basics: Alice is bored one summer afternoon, until she sees a white rabbit fretting about being late. A white rabbit isn't unusual...but one that talks, has a pocket watch and a waistcoat is pretty strange. She follows him down a rabbit hole and ends up in Wonderland, a very mixed up, silly place. There is plenty of allegory under it all if you want to think about it.....if not, just enjoy the silly story and forget about the hints at adult concerns. :) Sometimes I read this book like a children's story....and sometimes I read this book like a children's story with darker underpinnings. I think I enjoy it better as a silly children's story where white rabbits, red queens and mad hatters are only what they seem to be and not something else entirely.

This story has inspired so many movies, plays, books, songs, poetry, art, video games......it's so original and so strange, but endearing and magical. It's one of those books that a person either loves, or hates. I love this book. Disappearing cats who leave their grins, crazy tea parties, vials of strange potions and all the topsy turvy nonsense.....   I loved it 40+ years ago and I love it now. :) Maybe it's because I'm just a bit mad. But then again, aren't we all just a bit mad?

Alice: Have I gone mad?
Mad Hatter: I'm afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are. 

Alice in Wonderland is the 9th book I've read/re-read from the list of 100 books chosen for The Great American Read. Check out the list here: http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/  The list contains a wide variety of books that got people reading and talking about books! There really is something for everyone from much loved children's books to sci-fi, horror, fantasy and even erotica. Check it out!

On to the next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment