Thursday, June 14, 2018

REVIEW: Mockingjay

Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay is the exciting end of the Hunger Games Trilogy. The series made the list of 100 novels for The Great American Read. This is the 8th book I have read/re-read in my quest to make my way through the entire list.

I read the Hunger Games when it originally came out and loved it. I'm so glad I took the time to enjoy the books again.

In Mockingjay, the 12 Districts of Panem are in open revolt against the Capitol. Katniss Everdeen finds herself acting as The Mockingjay, a symbol of the uprising. But, starting a revolution has dire costs and the Capitol is going to fight hard to keep it's grip on Panem. There is a lot of action in this final book. It's my favorite of the series!

The Hunger Games is a YA series. There is no cursing or graphic sex. But the plot is dark and violent. The violence is not graphic, but there are descriptions of war, torture and death. I don't recommend this series for kids under 13. Hunger Games is one of my favorite YA series. It's well-written with plenty of important concepts to discuss with teens and adults reading the series -- war, life and death, the difficulty with being faced with choices that may cause others to die, totalitarian government and responsibilities of friendship and love.

I'm so glad this series is a part of the list for The Great American Read. The books got millions of teens and adults reading and talking about books! That's the whole purpose of GAR! I enjoyed re-reading this trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment