Monday, June 25, 2018

REVIEW: Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web
Author: E.B. White

That Wilbur is Some Pig! :)

I have loved this classic children's story since I was 5 and the school librarian read it out loud to my school class. As an adult, this story is still one of my favorite feel-good stories. After listening to an audio book version read by author E.B. White himself....I love this story even more. White's yankee twang just added extra joy to the experience.

Wilbur is born a runt. Runty pigs are often too small and just die, so Farmer Arable is going to kill it. His 8-year old daughter Fern begs for the little newborn pig's life, and her father relents. She raises little Wilbur until he is big enough to sell. Then the growing pig is sold to Zuckerman's Farm, where he meets other farm animals and a spider named Charlotte who becomes his best friend. When Wilbur learns that he is being fattened up for slaughter, Charlotte promises to save his life. She ponders how to accomplish this.....and what she comes up with makes this lovely book a magical, memorable story.

I am not a fan of spiders, as a rule...but Charlotte is lovely. Her friendship with Wilbur shows that it doesn't matter what someone is on the outside. Friendship is based on what is inside.

The audio book version I listened from Books On Tape is narrated by the author and is about 4 hours long. I enjoyed listening while cooking dinner and doing housework. It made for a very enjoyable afternoon. I have hearing loss, but I was easily able to hear and understand this entire audio book.

Charlotte's Web is included in the list of 100 books for The Great American Read. It really is a sweet, classic children's story that millions of children and adults have enjoyed since its publication in 1952. This is the 12th book or series that I have read/re-read as part of GAR. So glad I did...this is just a lovely book! The list of books for The Great American Read is available here: http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/     It might take me a long time, but I want to read through the entire list. 12 down.....88 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment