Friday, June 29, 2018

REVIEW: Deadly Cliché

A Deadly Cliché
Author: Ellery Adams

I read the first book in this series earlier this month and got hooked. Unfortunately adulting took over my life since then with summer DIY projects sucking up all my reading time. But....thanks to hoopla and my lovely digital library card from a nearby metro library....I downloaded several more Books By the Bay stories. I can adult....and listen. Perfect!

A Deadly Cliché is the second book featuring Olivia Limoges and her friends from Oyster Bay, NC. I love reading cozies set in NC since I live here. The people in this series remind me of folks I know from the small NC town I live in. All that's missing is the nearby beach since I live in the western mountainous portion of the state. There are 8 books in this series.

Olivia is walking her dog along the beach hunting for washed up treasures that she saves in a collection. She spies an upside down sand bucket and smells something bad. Thinking some kids or tourists might have trapped a crab or other animal under the bucket, she lifts it up. Oh, it's something dead alright. Just not a crab or another sea creature. It's a man. Dead. Soon the local police are investigating the murder and a strange string of burglaries. At each scene odd things are left....a stick of butter with a knife stuck in it, a doll with a silver spoon shoved in its mouth...  Olivia realizes each display refers to a cliché. When the burglars kill a homeowner, the case gets much more serious. Who is leaving the clichés and why? Soon Olivia and her writer's club friends learn that trying to track a killer can be dangerous.

I enjoyed this story. When I first started reading this series I had a really hard time liking Olivia. But as her background developed, I came to understand why she is so prickly and difficult. This second book has a lot more background development for her and other characters. I'm enjoying the mysteries and the side stories about the characters, too. Olivia's memories of the loss of her parents and growing up with her grandmother are very emotional. It makes it easier to keep reading when she acts like an asshat.

This series has been on my TBR shelf for at least a year waiting for me to find time to read it. I'm glad I finally decided to jump in and read. Very enjoyable cozy mystery series! I'm already listening to book 3, The Last Word!




No comments:

Post a Comment