Sunday, June 10, 2018

REVIEW: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins

This is a re-read for me. I enjoyed this series when it first came out, and I'm enjoying revisiting Panem as part of The Great American Read.

The Basics: Katniss Everdeen is 16 and lives in Panem's District 12 with her mother and younger sister, Primrose. District 12 is a coal mining district, so work there is hard and dangerous. Her own father was killed in a mining accident when Katniss was 12. Since then, she has taken over as head of the family. She hunts for food and makes sure her sister Prim has what she needs. This year, Prim's name will be entered into the drawing for the reaping for the first time. It worries Katniss. One girl and one boy from each district is chosen each year to fight in The Hunger Games, a televised battle to the death with only one left alive at the end. Katniss' name is in the drawing multiple times, as are all older children in the district. The Hunger Games are a reminder, and punishment, for an uprising of the districts against the government in the Capitol. Who will be chosen from District 12 this time? And will they survive?

The Hunger Games is the first book in the trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Followed up by Catching Fire and Mockingjay, this series is my favorite YA series. I even enjoyed the movies. I can see why the series made the list of 100 books for The Great American Read. The tale of violent totalitarian government and an uprising of the people after decades of fear, starvation and violence is thought-provoking, scary and awesome to read. The books are well-written and I always find myself rooting for the districts and despising the President and residents of the Capitol. Great story!

This is a YA series, but I would definitely recommend it for more mature teens over the age of 13. Given the plot, there is a lot of violence, danger and death. There is no cussing, no graphic sex or anything inappropriate, just themes better suited to teens who can handle reading about violence, injury and death.

I listened to the audiobook version of The Hunger Games. Narrated by Carolyn McCormick, the audio is just over 11 hours long. McCormick reads at a steady, even pace with good inflection. I have hearing loss but was easily able to hear and understand her reading.

I'm re-reading the entire trilogy. The Hunger Games will be the 8th book or series I have read/re-read from the list of 100 for The Great American Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment