Thursday, July 19, 2018

REVIEW: Claws of Death

Claws of Death
Author: Linda Reilly

Claws of Death is the second book in the Cat Lady Mysteries series. Aging former filmstar Deanna Daltry has come home to Whisker Jog, NH. Lara Caphart and her Aunt Fran run the High Cliff Shelter For Cats. They are delighted when Deanna adopts two kittens from them. Their delight turns into concern when someone begins targeting the former star with, at first, mean pranks hinting at something in the woman's past. When things escalate into dead bodies being discovered on Deanna's property, Lara is on the case to be sure Deanna and her newly adopted fur babies are safe. Unfortunately Deanna is the number one suspect in the murder of a local teacher. Who is out to get the aging star...and why?

I enjoy this series. I like the mix of humor, small town atmosphere and mystery. I foster kittens for the local humane society, so I identify with Lara and Aunt Fran's concerns and hopes for their shelter. The mystery was nicely paced. The kitten/shelter background theme did not overshadow the mystery, but enhanced the main plot. The pacing was perfect. There were plenty of suspects and twists. All in all, Claws of Death is a nice addition to this new cozy mystery series.

I like Lara as a main character. She is funny and feisty, and definitely out to protect the kittens and cats they adopt out. Aunt Fran is a hoot. She's my favorite character in this series so far. Fran is feisty, smart and determined.

I'm definitely looking forward to more books in this series. It won't be a long wait! Book 3, Claws for Celebration, comes out in December 2018!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment