Tuesday, July 10, 2018

REVIEW: Jar Of Hearts

Jar of Hearts
Author: Jennifer Hillier

When she was 16, Georgina watched her boyfriend kill her best friend and helped him dispose of the body. The sight of Angela Wong's blank dead eyes haunted her for 14 years until her arrest. 5 years in prison for helping Calvin bury Angela in the woods. Georgina survived prison. Now she's back home again. But nobody wants her there. Dirty looks. Harsh treatment. Doors shut in her face. Nasty messages in red spray paint on her father's garage doors. Dead bodies left in the woods behind her father's house. The bodies are dismembered just like they did to Angela. They are a message to Georgina. Is Calvin coming to kill her?

This book seriously creeped me out...but I couldn't stop reading. I was completely engrossed in the story...until the ending. The plot had me....until I just couldn't reconcile the very end. It just seemed a bit too....convenient? Maybe that's not the right word. The end of this book just seemed too easy. I can't hint at events because I don't want to spoil anything. But I don't think a similar story in real life would end that way. Too simple. Too easy. Too forgiving. But,despite my slight disappointment in the last few pages, this book kept me up most of the night reading.....great story! The pacing was perfect, keeping the suspense going from beginning to end. The characters are likable and severely flawed at the same time, which is realistic. Georgina got caught up in an abusive, psychologically damaging relationship at a young age. The choices she made have far-reaching consequences for everyone around her. Sometimes people can be good and bad at the same time.

I enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading more by this author. Seriously creepy story....I can't wait to read more!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment