Monday, July 30, 2018

REVIEW: Turtles All The Way Down

Turtles All The Way Down
Author: John Green

Russell Pickett is missing. The wealthy businessman is just gone....no trace, no calls or contact with his kids, no activity on his bank accounts. There is a $100,000 reward for information leading to his whereabouts. Local teenager Aza and her sidekick Daisy decide to become amateur sleuths, hoping to claim the reward. Aza tries to keep her spiraling obsessive thoughts under control, while suffering through therapy appointments and being lax with her meds. Her friend Daisy helps to keep her functioning, although it is at times more than she can take. They befriend Pickett's older son, Davis and his little brother, Noah. Where is Russell Pickett?? But, really, this novel isn't about Russell Pickett at all. It's about relationships, mental illness, family, emotions.....just about everything else but Russell Pickett. And....it's beautiful.

At first, I didn't know whether I was going to like this book or not. I try to steer away from novels that are deeply emotional or deal with difficult subjects. I don't like to finish a story and feel depressed. But I gave this one a chance. I'm glad I did. While the book is hard-hitting and emotional, I didn't finish it with depressed feelings. I felt like the story was realistic....a coming-of-age tale told with truth and hope.

The characters are engaging and realistic. I loved and sympathized with them all. Aza is my favorite. She battles her demons with all her might, while realizing her faults and mistakes. She comes to understand so many things about herself and others. She learns to love, to forgive and to respect herself. Daisy is a close runner up. She has her faults, but she loves her best friend. No matter how difficult that is at times.

Before I read this book, I wondered why the coverart was so weird....but now I totally get it. The cover is perfect.

This is the first book by John Green that I have read. I'm definitely going to read more. This was a "heavier'' story than I usually allow myself to read, but incredible.




No comments:

Post a Comment