Sunday, August 19, 2018

REVIEW: Creature

Creature
Author; Hunter Shea

Kate Woodson suffers with autoimmune disease. Her health problems are slowly killing her. As an escape from her mounting physical problems and the subsequent damage to their relationship, her husband Andrew rents a cottage in Maine for the summer and takes a 3 month leave of absence from his job. They both need a break from their day-to-day lives. But, in the woods surrounding the seemingly idyllic cabin lurks something so horrible, something so monstrous it might just destroy them both. The Creature....it lurks, it waits, it knows them.....

I love Hunter Shea's books. I love horror stories with monsters and Hunter Shea always delivers! He has creeped me out with everything from legendary beasties like the Jersey Devil to urban rats. This book hits close to home for me as I deal with physical and health issues on a daily basis. I identified with Kate Woodson and her husband. Physical pain and limitations have a direct and sometimes destructive effect on daily life and relationships. I wanted them to enjoy their summer in the backwoods of Maine.....and the downward spiral their attempt to escape took was horrifying in itself. I let myself get pulled totally into this story, reading it on my front porch in a comfy chair.....at night....in the dark....all alone....dark woods right across the street.....     Even the cup of hot, sweet, caramel flavored coffee sitting next to me wasn't enough to keep me from getting very much creeped out as the Woodsons started hearing leaf-crunching, branch breaking, heavy footsteps circling their cabin.....then rocks being thrown on the roof.....and a snuffling, roaring beastie standing just outside the door. The realization that the monster could bust through the glass patio doors at any time terrified not only the Woodsons, but me too. Perfect! I was immersed in this story from start to finish. I love how the plot relates to Hunter Shea's real life. I think that is why the story seems so real and grabbed my interest so thoroughly. Loved it!

Hunter Shea is the author of several other horror novels including The Montauk Monster and Jurassic Florida. Any lover of creature features or monster tales will love his books! This book gets full stars from me because of the personal connect I had with the characters and the totally creepy experience! Can't wait for his next book!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Flame Tree Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. No monsters were harmed in the writing of this review, although I did suffer quite a scare when my cat hopped on my lap while I was reading it in the dark. No permanent injuries to either of us. Luckily.**

No comments:

Post a Comment