Wednesday, August 22, 2018

REVIEW: The Other Woman

The Other Woman
Author: Sandie Jones

Emily loves Adam. But his mother is difficult. Pammie comments on Emily's weight...causes problems whenever she can....and is just a complete pain in the butt. Obviously the woman wants them to break up. When Emily and Adam get engaged and their wedding approaches, the problems with Pammie only increase and even take on a sinister feel. Emily wants Adam....but what about Pammie? What is she going to do next?

Oh. My God. This book made me mad, sad and even scared. Some real creepy feels. I was totally into this story from the first snarky Pammie comment to the twist at the very end. From an emotional standpoint, I had a hard time reading this book without getting mad....Pammie really pulls some klunkers. I wanted to hop into the book and tell that woman what I thought about her and tell Emily to stand up for herself. So hard to be just the reader joining in on the story as only an observer.  My one problem with this story is that Emily NEVER stands up for herself...she never really questions the situation enough to realize she should be exiting the relationship. She just has small temper tantrums and spits of anger....but then apologizes to Adam instead of standing her ground. Oh my....how weak willed and doormatish can you be? BUT, this is a suspense novel....and if Emily had stood up for herself, told Adam to go F himself and walked away to another relationship, it would have been a very short story. She had to be a bit weak for the storyline to work. And I've known women who put up with similar situations...so it isn't far from realism. It just heightened the suspense for me as I wanted to tell Emily she was an idiot for most of the book and I was waiting for Pammie to go absolutely mental. Great story. Emotionally exhausting, but great.

This is Sandie Jones' debut novel. I will definitely be reading more by this author! Her next book, Before Your Lies, will be published in June 2019.

I loved the pre-publication publicity for this book with the #WatchOutForPammie and other hashtags. I thought I was totally on Emily's side for the first part of this book.....but after finishing the entire thing....Emily is just too wishywashy for me. I think I will go with a side character and be #TeamSeb all the way! Best character in the book IMHO. Go Seb! Bestie stood by his friend Em to the end! :)

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. No future mother in laws were harmed during the reading of this book.**

No comments:

Post a Comment