Friday, August 31, 2018

REVIEW: Stay Hidden

Stay Hidden
Author: Paul Doiron

I enjoy suspense and thriller novels that deal with murder or crime investigations. I especially enjoy them if they throw something unusual, new or creative into the mix. My newest obsession is crime thrillers with main characters in park ranger or wildlife officer positions. It's breathing a bit of new life into the genre for me, as straight cop/bad guy stories can get old hat after awhile.

Stay Hidden is the 9th book in the Mike Bowditch series. This is the first book in this series I've read...and I'm glad I did! The main character is a Game Warden in Maine. Fatal hunting accidents aren't that unusual. People get mistaken for deer or other animals all the time. Mike Bowditch even remembers a case of a lady getting shot because a hunter mistook her white gloves for the white tail of a running deer. But this time.....the shooting death of a controversial author.....the death is a bit more than just a hunting accident. The case soon turns into something much more serious....and dangerous.

I loved this book! The story had so many surprises and twists that the suspense was constant. I love the location and the fact that the main investigator is a wildlife officer.

I was able to follow the story just fine even though I haven't read the previous 8 books in this series. But, I could tell that there has been a lot of character and background plot development since the start of the series. Because I enjoyed this book so much, I'm going to backtrack and read the rest of this series. Then portions of this story and the main characters will make more sense. It isn't necessary to have read the other books to enjoy this one, however.

Great book! Lots of action and a wonderfully complex and suspenseful plot! I will definitely read more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment