Saturday, August 4, 2018

REVIEW: Cusp of Night

Cusp of Night
Author: Maya Sinclair

Maya Sinclair is recovering from a nearly fatal car accident. She was dead for more than two minutes, but resuscitated by medical staff. She remembers flitting images, or at least the feeling, of being in the Aether. It was like a holding ground for spirits who would be returning to earth. Maya goes to Hode Hill, PA to spend time with a friend and recover from her physical and mental ordeal. She gets sucked into local lore and gossip almost immediately. The Hode family has run things in Hode Hill for generations, much to the annoyance of some. A secretive research facility on the outskirts of town is tied to at least one death. And, every year the town has a festival formed around local folklore about The Fiend, a murderous, supernatural devil-like creature that murdered several Hode Hill residents in the 1890s. Maya discovers the history revolves around Lucinda Glass, a medium with blue-toned skin, who was killed by The Fiend. When sightings of the monster begin anew in Hode Hill and ghosts haunt the brownstone she's renting, Maya starts delving deeper into the Hode Hill legends.

OMG -- I love this book! I am a sucker for creepy, supernatural horror, and this story just sucked me right in. I couldn't stop reading! The story switches point of view, alternating between Maya in the present day and Lucinda Glass more than 100 years ago. Usually I'm not much of a fan of POV jumps, but for this story it worked perfectly. I am happy to discover this is the first book of a series. The second book, End of Day, is coming out in January 2019! This is the kind of horror that I love to read -- Halloween-y type creepy stories and not gore fests. The monster does attack people in this story, but there are no graphic descriptions of severed limbs or spurting blood. I am happy to discover that another series, Point Pleasant, centered around the Mothman legend. I think I have found the first series I'm going to start reading for Halloween prep this year! I can get myself into the mood of the fall season early this year! Woot! I will most definitely be reading more by this author.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment