Tuesday, August 21, 2018

REVIEW: Rattus New Yorkus

Rattus New Yorkus
Author: Hunter Shea

I am a sucker for monster tales. Big or small, creature rampages are always a hit with me! Hunter Shea has entertained me with man eating lizards in Florida, the Jersey Devil, swamp creatures, Loch Ness.....lots of monster goodness. This time....it's very angry, swarming rats attacking New York.

Rats are definitely in my top 5 of things I don't like. Not just because they helped spread the fleas that killed millions during the various outbreaks of plague several hundred years ago, but because they are still spreading disease, biting people and popping out from unexpected places even today. I have not had the joy (note sarcasm) to meet a New York rat up close, but I have heard stories. Where I live in NC most rats invade derelict or abandoned homes and then wreck havoc on others who own surrounding properties. Yuck! The thought of millions of rats....angry....clawing, biting...CHASING people....    EEEEEKKKKK!

The basics: A well meaning scientist creates a new bait for rats which is supposed to sterilize them, preventing them from breeding and increasing the rat population. He gets an exterminator to test the new product on several locations in New York so they can track its effect on the rat population. Unfortunately, the chemical just makes the rats super aggressive, violent and seemingly even more intelligent than normal. New Yorkers are resilient, but what will they do when faced with millions of Super Rats?

I enjoyed this story! Very creepy and just an entertaining fun read. At 112 pages Rattus New Yorkus is an afternoon's entertaining creepy read. I sat on my porch with a big glass of iced tea and let myself just enjoy being creeped out by a story about rats. Lots of Rats. Angry rats. Rats that want to eat people. All the people.  That night I kept waking up thinking I heard skittering and squeaking. It was my foster kitten, not a rat....but it did prove that Hunter Shea managed to creep me out once again!

For those who love cheesy monster stories, this book is perfect! And I'm definitely up for the next Hunter Shea book! :) I wonder what he will scare me with next time? :)

**I voluntarily read an advance readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. No rats were harmed during the writing of this review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment