Saturday, August 25, 2018

REVIEW: The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew
Author: C.S. Lewis

For Christmas when I was 9 years old, my parents gave me a box set of The Chronicles of Narnia. I read and re-read those books until they literally fell apart. I loved the magical story of Narnia, Aslan, the Pevensies, the White Witch, Mr. Tumnus, Eustace, Prince Caspian, Reepicheep, and all the other lovely characters in the series. I re-read this series every few years because the stories are still incredibly enjoyable for me. Religious allegory and symbolism never enter my head as I read this series.....I enjoy it as delightful children's fantasy and leave the author's religious views out of it. The books do impart important lessons on friendship, loyalty, cowardice and bravery, respect, forgiveness, and love. Just a lovely book series for children and adults alike!

The Chronicles of Narnia is included in the list of 100 books and series for The Great American Read. So, as part of GAR, I'm re-reading this series. I started with The Magician's Nephew because even though this book was published as the fifth book of the series, it is a prequel to the other books explaining how Narnia was created.

I listened to an audio book version of this novel. At just under 4 hours long, it was an easy afternoon listen as I did housework and worked in my garden. Kenneth Branagh narrated. He read at a nice even pace. Despite my hearing loss, I could easily hear and understand the entire book. It was great to re-visit an old favorite! I'm currently on my library's waiting list for the next audio book: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I'm happy to be #16 waiting on 4 copies. The wait means that others are reading this lovely series, and that makes me happy! I have the "real'' book on my keeper shelf, of course. But I'm going to continue listening to audio book versions until I've listened to the whole series. Up til now I have read the books, watched video versions....but never an audio presentation. Loving it so far!

I totally support The Chronicles of Narnia being included in The Great American Read. I know as a young child the books gave me hours and hours of happiness....not to mention the British television series and the newer movies. Since the 1950s when the books were first published, this series has given so much joy and wonder to so many readers. It's just outstanding!

If I had to pick a favorite book from the series, I would have to go with The Horse and His Boy (Book 5). Favorite character -- easy choice for me -- Reepicheep, the very brave mouse!

The Magician's Nephew is the 16th book/series I have read or re-read for The Great American Read. Before all is said and done, I will have re-read all 7 books in the series. While I wait for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe to come available at the library, I will move on and read other books from the list. I can't wait until the television series starts airing on PBS on September 11, 2018!!

No comments:

Post a Comment