Thursday, November 1, 2018

REVIEW: Ghost Story

Ghost Story
Author: Jim Butcher

Ghost Story is the 13th book in the Dresden Files series. After being murdered by an unknown assailant, Dresden finds himself back on earth searching for his killer. He wants to fulfill his mission and help his friends, but it's difficult to get things done as a spirit. Dresden will have to learn how to function as a ghost, while still getting to the bottom of the evil plaguing Chicago. Can Harry Dresden manage it without a body...or magic?

This is probably my favorite book in the series so far. Dresden has to get creative in order to interact with his friends and investigate his murder. Lots of twisty, interesting action in this book. This series just keeps getting more and more interesting. I'm very glad I'm a bit behind because I'm an impatient reader. If I had been forced to wait for a new book after finishing the cliffhanger ending of Changes (book #12), I would have had a rough time! As it is, I'm biding my time in finishing up this series because book #16, Peace Talks, still doesn't have a firm publication date. It's been years. Hopefully this is not a case of what I call George R.R. Martin Syndrome where new books are years and years and years late...while the author writes comics, books in other series and works on television scripts....  Sigh.

I think I will stop reading this series and take a break until Peace Talks has a release date. Then I can time my reading so I don't get stuck waiting months for resolution. Love this series! It's my favorite urban fantasy series since Simon Green's Nightside series ended.

I listened to the audio version of this book. In fact, I had to change audiobooks in the middle. Half of what I listened to was narrated by John Glover....and half by James Marsters. I really prefer James Marsters narration. He gets the humor and tone of the characters right and always does a masterful job of acting. Not that John Glover was bad.....his reading was excellent. Marsters is just better, IMHO.

I'm not really ragging on Jim Butcher either. I realize he had a bit of upheaval in his personal life...got divorced, built a house, remarried, etc. I get it. Authors have lives and important business has to be settled so writing can be a focus again. Understandable. But.....it's been years.....time to give us readers a date and get it done. I will patiently (or just a bit grumpily) wait awhile longer, but I'm giving Dresden a break until I know the new book is coming. Not dealing with any cliffhangers until I have Book 16 in my hands. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment